- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
- One 1-pound bag herb stuffing mix
- 8 ounces jarred roasted chestnuts, coarsely chopped (about 1-1/3 cups)
- 1 cup walnut pieces (4 ounces), toasted
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
Find packaged chestnuts in the baking aisle or buy them online.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, breaking it into bits with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the onion, celery, carrots and apples and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the stuffing mix with the chestnuts, walnuts and sausage mixture. Add the chicken broth and combine thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the stuffing into 2 buttered 3-quart casserole dishes and bake, covered, for 40 minutes.